My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://wheresmy40acres.com
and update your bookmarks.

iTunes Subscribers

Where's My 40 Acres Podcast Show

Monday, January 10, 2011

Top 10 of 2010 [ Soul Edition]: #6 Foreign Exchange " Authenticity " & #7 John Legend & The Roots "Wake Up"


 I don't think there are enough great things to say about a group like Foreign Exchange.  If there's any group out here that test the waters by putting themselves out there with every new project, its this group.  Phonte has come a very long way in a short time as an artist.  He's definitely one of the best lyricists in the game.  He now becoming one of the best male vocalists in the music industry and is getting Grammy Nom recognition for it.  Authenticity is everything the subtle cover art would lead inquiring minds to believe it to be.  The mood of the album is Jazzy and mellow.  The sounds are relaxing and smooth.  And the words are deeply poetic.  That's all I ever ask for from this group.  When I'm ready for life off, I enjoy All Roads, Eyes to the Sky, Authenticity, Don't Wait, and Make me a Fool.


Let me take you back.  Back to a time when people sang about the fight.  When people made real love songs.  When people how something to sing about.  Well in that time, we didn't have The Roots and John Legend.  SO!  Here we are with Wake Up.  Basically
Legend and The Roots primarily covered 1960s and 1970s soul music songs for the album with social themes of awareness, engagement, and consciousness.
 I think they did an excellent job recreating that Motown feel with a 2010 spin.  Its a shame that a lot of people missed out on this tribute cover album  You can't fail when you have The Roots taking something and redoing it the way it should be done.  Their version of Hard Times is one of the best I've heard.  Definitely a good purchase for anyone of any age.  I'll be playing this at future family functions fasho!

No comments:

IF YOU DIG THE SITE OR THE PODCAST PLEASE MAKE A DONATION TO WM40A. HELP US KEEP THE COMEDY AND HIP-HOP COMING.